Titlebar

Export bibliographic data
Literature by the same author
plus on the publication server
plus at Google Scholar

 

Fly pollination in Ceropegia (Apocynaceae: Asclepiadoideae) : Biogeographic and phylogenetic perspectives

Title data

Ollerton, Jeff ; Masinde, Siro ; Meve, Ulrich ; Picker, Mike ; Whittington, Andrew:
Fly pollination in Ceropegia (Apocynaceae: Asclepiadoideae) : Biogeographic and phylogenetic perspectives.
In: Annals of Botany. Vol. 103 (2009) Issue 9 . - pp. 1501-1514.
ISSN 1095-8290
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/aob/mcp072

Abstract in another language

Ceropegia (Apocynaceae subfamily Asclepiadoideae) is a large, Old World genus of 180 species, all of which possess distinctive flask-shaped flowers that temporarily trap pollinators. The taxonomicdiversity of pollinators, biogeographic and phylogenetic patterns of pollinator exploitation, and the level of specificity of interactions were assessed in order to begin to understand the role of pollinators in promoting diversification within the genus. Flower visitor and pollinator data for approx. 60 Ceropegia taxa were analysed with reference to the main centres of diversity of the genus and to a cpDNA–nrDNA molecular phylogeny of the genus. Ceropegia spp. interact with flower-visiting Diptera from at least 26 genera in 20 families, of which 11 genera and 11 families are pollinators. Size range of flies was 0.5–4.0 mm and approx. 94% were females. Ceropegia from particular regions do not use specific fly genera or families, though Arabian Peninsula species are pollinated by a wider range of Diptera families than those in other regions. The basal-most clade interacts with the highest diversity of Diptera families and genera, largely due to one hyper-generalist taxon, C. aristolochioides subsp. deflersiana. Species in the more-derived clades interact with a smaller diversity of Diptera.Approximately 60% of taxa are so far recorded as interacting with only a single genus of pollinators, the remaining 40% being less conservative in their interactions. Ceropegia spp. can therefore be ecological specialists or generalists.The genus Ceropegia has largely radiated without evolutionary shifts in pollinator functionalspecialization, maintaining its interactions with small Diptera. Intriguing biogeographic and phylogenetic patterns may reflect processes of regional dispersal, diversification and subsequent specialization onto a narrowerrange of pollinators, though some of the findings may be caused by inconsistent sampling.

Further data

Item Type: Article in a journal
Refereed: Yes
Additional notes: BAYCEER91045
Institutions of the University: Research Institutions > Research Centres > Bayreuth Center of Ecology and Environmental Research- BayCEER
Faculties > Faculty of Biology, Chemistry and Earth Sciences > Department of Biology > Chair Plant Systematics
Faculties
Faculties > Faculty of Biology, Chemistry and Earth Sciences
Faculties > Faculty of Biology, Chemistry and Earth Sciences > Department of Biology
Research Institutions
Research Institutions > Research Centres
Result of work at the UBT: Yes
DDC Subjects: 500 Science
Date Deposited: 14 Jul 2015 06:21
Last Modified: 14 Jul 2015 06:21
URI: https://eref.uni-bayreuth.de/id/eprint/16309